Monday, February 21, 2011

Spinach-stuffed mushrooms

Page 50. Not a bad substitute for the delicious cream cheese and worcestershire stuffed mushrooms (or cream cheese and bacon, however you roll), especially if you like spinach. I like spinach, plus it's good for you. It would appear as though a WW thing is to use a very strong flavored cheese but only a little of it. This is a pretty good strategy. Unless you like mouthfuls of cheese (which I do, but no matter) you don't really need a lot if it has a lot of flavor. Monterey Jack is one such cheese, and it tasted great on top of these mushrooms. The nutmeg mixed in also added a nice flavor, although I felt kind of like I was eating a quiche. Several problems with the recipe though:
1. I mixed an egg in with the "stuffing" mixture as per the recipe and I'm not sure why. It didn't really seem to add anything.  Except the weird quicheness
2. The recipe called for 4 large white mushrooms, but the white mushrooms I had were still kinda small. I mean, white mushrooms are supposed to be smaller than portobello, yes? It specifically said NOT to use portobello because they are too big. Except, mine were too small. And the white mushrooms I bought are average size. I didn't even use half of the spinach mixture in those 4 mushrooms. So, I have no idea what went wrong here. I made 9 or 10 mushrooms and then threw the rest in a frying pan. Which was weird, because of the egg thing.
3. The recipe called for one bag of triple-washed spinach. What the heck is "triple-washed" spinach? I checked all of the bags of spinach and none said how many times they were washed. In the end, I chose the spinach that was "jet-washed". Figured it might be cleaner than the other spinach.


If I wanted to replace my cream cheese and worcestershire stuffed mushrooms with a healthier variety, I might make these, but I would lose the egg and maybe add some chopped onion. And garlic! Yes, garlic is what these mushrooms need. But besides that, not bad.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love my go to stuffed mushroom recipe (cream cheese, monterey jack, & bacon) but this one sounded delicious (except the egg). Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, I remember your stuffed mushrooms, they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete