Sunday, January 30, 2011

First recipe- Honk if you love Hollandaise!

Honk honk!! I absolutely love hollandaise. Eggs benedict/eggs florentine are among my list of favorite foods- if this is on a brunch menu, I will definitely order it. Actually, anything with hollandaise on it, I'll order. Hollandaise is one of those things that I love to eat but have no desire to know what is in it. I always feared that if I tried to make it, the ingredients and process would ruin the taste for me. But there it was, Light Hollandaise on page 12. So I gave it a try, and made Eggs Benedict Nanette-style, meaning I used turkey bacon and a multigrain roll instead of canadian bacon and an english muffin (Nanette-style = using whatever is around instead of buying the real ingredients). I slightly overcooked the poached eggs, because apparently I suck at poaching eggs. Luckily, the Light Hollandaise was DELICIOUS and made up for the lack of runny egg yolk.

I was all ready to make this when I got up this morning. I hit a snag, however, when I realized that the Chicken Broth I had was 99% fat free, but NOT low sodium, which is what the recipe calls for. It was actually very HIGH sodium. Grumbling to myself, I walked over to the supermarket in my pajamas to get the correct broth; luckily, it is only a stone's throw from our apartment. FYI College Inn brand has less sodium than Swanson's and it was exactly what I needed. The recipe called for either the Basic Chicken stock recipe from page 3, which I hadn't gotten around to making yet, or fat free low sodium chicken broth. The College Inn fat free low sodium was only 4 mg off in sodium than the homemade stuff. So, it worked. And it was yummy! It was thick and rich, and unless I had the real stuff to do a comparative taste-test, I wouldn't know the difference.  Will I make this again? Absolutely!  I have some left-overs, which I will probably eat with a piece of tilapia tomorrow. For you WW dieters, a 1/4 cup is 1 point, and you wouldn't need more than that in a serving anyway.

Now I have two open containers of Chicken broth in my fridge. I hate that

Top Chef quote:
"Next time I'm gonna do a piece of toast, a bacon, and some bullshit eggs on it....and I'll probably be one of the top 3" - Fabio

1 comment: