Saturday, January 29, 2011

Welcome

Hey everybody, welcome to my blog. I love good food and I really love to cook. I watched the movie Julie and Julia, thinking I would enjoy the movie because of this, and I was not disappointed. It inspired me to try to cook all of the recipes in one of my cookbooks. In the movie, Julie mentioned that she had gained weight (not surprisingly, if you cook mostly French food drenched in butter for the better part of a year). This was a concern, so I chose my Weight Watchers cookbook to complete this challenge. I have had this Weight Watchers book for a few years and over the years have cooked less than 10 of the recipes. I actually really liked all of them. Why I haven't tried more? Because I have TONS of recipes. I am a recipe hoarder. I cut them out of magazines, and will even save the entire magazine if there are enough recipes in it. I buy cookbooks. I stalk allrecipes.com like it's my job and then save the recipes I like. I have more recipes than I know what to do with and have not even tried most of them. Until now. I am going to make every single recipe in this book, even the ones that look unappealing or have weird ingredients, even the things that I like to eat but have NO desire to know what is in them (mayonnaise and hollandaise, this means you).

As far as diets go, Weight Watchers is the best, in my opinion. They give you so many tools to succeed that all you need is a little willpower. They provide many ways for you to stay on the diet while being lazy because they sell frozen meals, snacks, yogurt, desserts, anything you need. And unlike other diets, it doesn't try to make things like mashed cauliflower pretend to be mashed potatoes (GROSS!!)After two of my friends lost weight on it a few years ago, and my cousins, I tried it myself and lost the weight I wanted to lose. While cooking these recipes, I SHOULD try to do the diet again. Maybe I will. We'll see.

Here are the rules:
1. There are no rules
2. I will eventually make all of the "over 500" recipes from this book, but I am not going to try to do it in a year. I'm busy, and I don't always feel like cooking. Also, I may not ONLY cook these recipes. If I am trying a WW side dish, and want to eat it with a piece of seasoned tilapia, I will do so. If I want to go out to dinner with my fiancee, I will. If I don't do the diet and eat a donut, sue me. The diet is not the point, the point is actually trying recipes that are currently creating dust on my breakfast bar. Don't judge me.
3. This is a blog, not a piece of American literature. I am not trying to win a Pulitzer. If I forget to capitalize something, leave out a semi-colon, or misspell something, I don't want to hear about it. If you comment on that, I will likely delete it.
4. So as to not be sued for copyright infringement, I will not post any of these recipes on here, but will give you the name and page number when I try it, and what the experience was. I plan on marking the recipes I have tried with a smiley face :-) if it is good and worthy of repeating and a sad face :-( if it isn't.
5. I will try every single recipe and follow it exactly.This is another problem of mine, I change a recipe because of convenience and have no idea how it would have tasted if I had followed the recipe. We should always follow a recipe exactly before changing it. In an instance where I absolutely cannot get an ingredient (I am already wondering where I am going to find buffalo meat in South-eastern Virginia) after trying multiple stores, I may have to change the recipe. That will only be in the most extreme circumstances.

Since my fiancee is out to sea and I am only feeding myself, I will be trying some of the smaller recipes, like sauces and sides, until he gets back. This is a blog about cooking and Top Chef is one of my favorite shows, so I may throw in a random and arbitrary quote in each post. "Please enjoy!"

3 comments:

  1. I just watched that movie for the first time last week.... loved it! Makes me want to cook too! I don't think I will have the time to blog about it but it will be fun to read yours :) This is Teri by the way, not Gabe (our google account is in his name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to get your take on some of those recipes! And don't worry, if you want to try one of those main dishes before he comes back, I will be happy to come over for a Top Chef Dinner Date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanette! I love the idea. Jen and I watched this movie about a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll be following you. All my best!

    ReplyDelete